There are several situations in which you may not want your Citadel server to deliver mail directly to recipients over the public Internet. These include:
- Your organization requires all outbound mail to be sent through a relay
- You want to use an outbound mail filtering/scanning service
- You are on a private network and your ISP requires all outbound mail to be sent through their mail server
If this is the case, you can relay all outbound mail through a smart host. You can configure a smart host two ways:
- From WebCit, select Administration –> Domain names and Internet mail configuration –> Smart hosts
- From the text client, select .<A>dmin <S>ystem configuration <I>nternet, and add a smart host.
You can specify any valid SMTP URI. At the very least, you must specify a host name, but if you need to add a port number, username and password, or SMTPS instead of SMTP, these options are all accepted. The full URI syntax is:
If you configure multiple smart-hosts, one will be selected at random for each message that is delivered.